[windows2000] Re: FTP login and redirect

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://thin.net" <jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:25:47 -0500

Worked fine for me... here it is
Step 1: Create a home folder for your user.
Typically, this will be a subfolder under a parent folder called (Users or
FTPusers would be typical names). Additionally, this group needs the right
to Log on Locally. Of course, Admins should have full control of everything
all the time (just kidding. This is optional).

TIP: Do not set NTFS permissions yet. If you do, be sure the System account
has access to the users' folder or you will get a 'stop sign" error when you
try to create the Virtual Directory.

Step 2: Create a Virtual Directory and map the user's folder.
The trick here is that the Virtual Directory has to be the exact same name
as the user. In this case, we create a folder called BartS and map it to
FTPusers/BartS. Note that the directory name is case sensitive!

Step 3: Enable Write on the Virtual Directory
Unless this is a read-only FTP site, enable the write permission on the FTP
snap in.

Step 4: Remove Anonymous authentication from the Virtual Directory.
Uncheck the "Allow only anonymous authentication" on the Security Acccounts
tab. Now, when BartS logs on, he will be automatically placed in his user
folder.

Step 5: Assign NTFS permissions.
For the parent folder of your users' folders, you can assign No Access to
the anonymous account. Despite what some KB articles say, the user does not
need permissions to the parent folder. The System account, however, does
need access to this folder so Everyone, No Access is not a good idea. If the
System account can't access the folder, you can have problems later when you
go to make changes to the FTP server setup for the user.

For the users' folders, NTFS permissions Read and Write are typical. Execute
permissions should be avoided. Remove Everyone from the access list and add
the user's account. According to your policy, you may or may not include
Administrators.

That's it! Now when users log on with FTP, they will be routed to their own
FTP folder.

TIP: You can keep users from seeing folders for other users:
1. Point your FTP server to an empty root. Fine to use Inetpub/ftproot, just
don't put anything in there or your users will see it.
2. Map your users' Virtual Folders to a location outside of the FTP server
virtual root. By keeping your users' folders in the same parent folder
outside of the virtual FTP root, when they go "up" in the directory tree
from their personal folder, they will be magically transported to the empty
FTProot.

WARNING. Password sent to the FTP service are sent in absolute cleartext.
SSL can't be used and you can't use NTFS authentication. No good solution
exists for this problem using native Microsoft FTP server.

Article Statistics