[windows2000] Re: Exchange installation/volumes

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:53:02 -0400

Depends on why you ask...

If you are asking because you want to protect yourself from data loss, then the
minimum is three redundant disk arrays... one for the OS & Exchange Program
Files, one for the Databases, and one for the Database Log Files.  Which means
a minimum of 6 disks (3 RAID1 arrays), preferably 8 (raid1 for the OS &
database, raid5 for the log files, and a hot spare)

If you are talking about performance only, you can actually usually get better
performance by having a raid1 array for the OS, and a raid1+0 array split into
two partitions for the database and log files.

I guess it depends on the installation... for a company of less than 250 users,
you can get away with less, since you will never reach the threshhold where you
notice.

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.