[windows2000] Re: DNS configuration

  • From: "Bob Coffman - Info From Data Corp." <bcoffman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:37:54 -0500

 >I figured out how to setup the nameserver IP address
with my domain registrar for abc.org to point to my public IP address

Good.

>I think I have figured out how to add the additional domains to my DNS
Server

Well you'll need to.  Use NSLOOKUP to test it.

Nslookup> server 192.... (rest of your internal DNS server IP)
Nslookup  walls.com (should return the external IP address of your DNS
domain)

>but I not figured out how to tell what IP address should be
returned (it should be my same public IP) when some computer requests
the IP for xyz.org

OK, the way this works is (I think this first part is right) your registrar
will inform the root DNS servers that xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is authoritative for
walls.com (for example.)  So when I want to check out the fantastic pictures
of your cat, I'm going to query my DNS server, which won't know how to get
to walls.com, so it will ask my ISP DNS server, and they'll be clueless
because nobody else cares about your site, and finally it will get to the
root DNS servers, who will reply well I don't know, but xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
does, go ask him, and you'll have your DNS server exposed on your router
that has a fixed IP address (actually two, your registrar will likely want
two different authoritative addresses) and it will say "well of course
walls.com is at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

Or something like that.  Not a DNS expert.

- Bob