[windows2000] DNS configuration

  • From: Jim Walls <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Windows 2000 List <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 00:09:08 -0800

Several months ago I sent the message below and did not get any response, and I have been busy enough that I have not tried to do anything with this since. I am now having time (and a need) to start working with this again. Any DNS server configuration experts out there? I will be setting this up on either Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2003 Server (I currently have one of each running here at home).

My original message is below (slightly edited)...

I have a computer here at home running Windows 2000 Server that functions as file and print sharing for the computers in the house, and also as a small web server for a couple family domains and E-Mail server for my family members. I want to run my own DNS so I'm not having to pay for that service to someone else. I have never setup a DNS server before, but I understand the concepts of what a DNS server needs to do.

My network gets several public IP addresses from my ISP (only using one for this purpose however), and I have a NAT router that is between my home network and the internet. My internal addresses are all 192.168.1.x non-routable addresses, and of course the NAT router is converting that to a public IP on the WAN side.

I have websites on several domains - for example (dummy names):
abc.org
xyz.org
123.info

The intent is for the abc.org to have the nameserver for itself and the other domains. I figured out how to setup the nameserver IP address with my domain registrar for abc.org to point to my public IP address. I think I have figured out how to add the additional domains to my DNS server, but I not figured out how to tell what IP address should be returned (it should be my same public IP) when some computer requests the IP for xyz.org.

BTW, I have the advantage of several domains that are expendable - by that I mean it does not matter if they are dead for days (or months), so I have domains I can "play" with while I get this all figured out.

--
73