[windows2000] Re: Correcting a PC which was improperly configured with our network

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 06:52:11 -0500

Do you have a WINS server?

If so, delete references to that workgroup name, but only those that have
the same IP as the workstation in question was assigned.

If you don't have Wins, change the name of the workgroup and wait.
Supposedly all browse lists should be updated within 36 minutes, but
experience has proven that sometimes it takes as long as overnight.  But
leave the machine on and connected to the network while waiting.

Also, verify that there is no object in your AD that has the same name.
Maybe he did attempt to join the domain, but it failed part way through, and
there is an orphaned account laying around.  Not likely, but worth a look.

HTH,

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.