[windows2000] Re: Can't DCs be ghosted??

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 14:53:37 +0100

On Fri, 03 Jan 2003 12:17:31 -0800, Chris Berry wrote:

>>From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>Well, the server in question reagularly went up to 70-80 degC (the
>>cpu) in the summers, so choosing between a watercooled case for
>>about SEK 3000 (approx USD 300) and installing air-condition in the
>>server-room (1,5m x 1,5m x 2,5m) for SEK 45000-50000 (approx USD
>>4500-5000) the choice was really simple. 8-}
>
>Maybe that's all your budget can handle but I have to say that no AC for the
>server room is a bad idea, the greatest single source of wear for
>electronics is thermal, of course your equipment may be obsolete and need
>replacement by the time that's a problem.

I am split on this issue. On one hand AC is a must in a
server-room. On the other hand USD 5000 for installing AC in a room
that's smaller than the smallest closet at home kinda feel like
overkill. If the unix-guy over here, decides to mount his
sgi-server in a rack and put it in the server, we're definitely
going to need AC. But then, we would also run out of place, so we
would have to move to a different server-room, which maybe already
has AC. See my dilemma?

>>Arctic Silver! Great stuff! But it gets everywhere. And smears
>>really bad. My home office desk (where I do computer maintenance at
>>home) is badly stained with the stuff. You can't get it off! I had
>>some stains on my fingers too, after changing a cpu - it took a
>>week to wear off...
>
>Not too hard to get off, use WD-40, works great.  If you use that to clean
>off a component make sure you clean off the WD-40 with alcohol or it will
>start dissolving anything else you put on there.

Never occurred to me to spray wd40 on the hardware... 8-)

>Another easy solution is
>to wear surgical gloves when you're working on CPU's, very cheap and easy to
>clean up.

I'm allergic to the talk, and get rashes from the non-talk (pvc)
gloves... 8-}

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmaci.uu.se
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46-18-4714482 >> 5 signals >>
GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46-701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University      Fax: +46-18-471-4474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.