[windows2000] Automated Printer Connections

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 10:48:35 -0400

I finally figured out what has been bothering me for years...

Quite some time ago, I decided that I wanted my printers to get
connected during login for my users.

I went through all sorts of work setting up group memberships and all
that jazz, but found that, for some of our printers, there were no W2k
drivers built-in, and they needed to be installed.  But my users don't
have rights to install drivers, so those printers still had to be done
manually.

Now, I have written a VBScript startup script which installs the printer
drivers that I need at startup, under the privileges of the Local System
account.

So, every time I add a new printer, I have three steps to do before I
can "deploy" it to the people that need it:

1. Add the printer information to a CSV file that contains the info for
all of our printers, in this format:
Printer Queue, Group Name, Description
\\CSTerminal05\HP6P, Printer_CS_HP_6P, CS HP6

2. Add a test account to the group for the printer, and login to a win2k
machine.  If the printer is connected correctly, there are already
drivers installed, and step three is unnecessary

3. If a driver needs to be installed, download/extract the drivers, put
them in my public access share, and craft a command to install it, and
put that command into the startup script.

Then, the next time the computer restarts, the drivers will be
installed, and then the printer connected as needed when the user logs
in.

If anyone would like me to go into more detail, feel free to ask.  I'm
just so psyched it's working...

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.