Re: the best bit rate for a stereo modem stream?

  • From: shawn klein <kb7clx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:37:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Marty, not being a broadcaster, I won't pretend to
be any kind of an expert, but when you go to stereo
you're looking at twice the data, so your sampling
rate is going to be cut in half, thus you'll have a
stereo signal with almost telephone quality per chanel
with 11050 khz sampling rate, if you tried making it
22050 khz stereo with that 24 kbps though, you'll hear
a lot of that weird digital squealing, it won't sound
good. Streams I've listened to at 32 kbps stereo
aren't too bad, kind of like a.m. stereo. I've
experimented with low bit rates combined with high
sampling rates in gold wave, just messing around, and
it ain't pretty, lol. O.k. so I wasn't using winamp,
but the principle is the same, right? *grin*
Shawn