Re: making winamp as your default player

  • From: Christopher Chaltain <chaltain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 12:13:34 -0600

Does this still work in all versions of Windows? I thought Windows 7 or 8 no longer allowed applications to change defaults and you now had to do this through Windows itself. I don't know if this is true myself or not, which is why I'm asking. Using Google, I'm only finding instructions on how to go into Windows and set applications as the defaults for different purposes, but I'm not seeing if you can still do this through the settings inside specific applications or not.

On 03/01/2015 08:03 AM, dennis wrote:
it still works that way.

On 3/1/2015 1:28 AM, Marty Rimpau wrote:
Hi Arlene, this worked in winamp 5.13, so I don't know how recent
versions will work, but open up winamp, and then go to preferences
with control p, then use the home key to get to the top of the
tree-view, then if general is closed, open it with the right arrow,
then down arrow to file types, and then tab until you see a button
that says either, select all, or, it may just say all, press this
button with the space bar, then all the file types that winamp can
play will be selected, and winamp will be your default player, and I
think, pressing the escape key will automatically close that
preferences dialog, if not, then tab to close, and press the space
bar, and then, winamp will be your default player.
Marty

On Feb 28, 2015, at 9:26 PM, Arlene wrote:

Hi there: How does one make winamp as default player? I was trying to
play a file on my friend’s thumb drive. Windows media player came up
witch was fine. Somehow Media player ended up being default. I went
to audio in the control panel and it said winamp is the default
player. When I played a file on my computer windows media player came
up.  I uninstalled winamp and reinstalled it twice I went to play an
audio file on the desktop. Still Windows media player came up. I
thought it fixed the problem. Is there another way I can make winamp
be default? Thanks any help will do.

subject line. Archives located at:
//www.freelists.org/archives/winamp4theblind> If you have any
concerns about the list, post received from the list, or the way the
list is being run, do not post them to the list directly. Instead,
please contact the list owners at winamp4theblind-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail