Re: Windows Media Streams & Winamp

  • From: Reg Webb <reg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 11:52:05 +0000

Hi Ann

Either because of the way that these streams are set up, or because
Microsoft wants to hang on to its own media player's dominance in this
area, Winamp support for these streams is not working properly as it
does, for instance, with .Mp3 or .OGG streams.

I think I'm right in saying that your alternatives are either to revert
to WMP for these streams, or, on a stream by stream basis, you can
laboriously extract the information you need to get Winamp to play the
stream.  In this connection, I would refer you back to Amman and Kelly's
correspondence about CBC, in which Amman describes how you can find the
URL with a .WMA extension, which Winamp will play, rather than the .ASF
or .ASX extensions, with which Winamp doesn't deal well.

I have saved that message if you fancy doing that kind of digging.  If
you need it, please contact me off list.

Good luck

Reg

In message <006101c4c3b3$3f7f82e0$b804fea9@home1>, Ann
<mylists@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes