Re: Winamp and voicechat

  • From: "John J. Jacques" <kg7fa2@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 22:47:10 -0700

Hi all.  Just to clear up the winamp and voice chat issue, you don't have
to worry about anything you listen to being retransmitted with voice
chat, because winamp is using the wave output for the audio you are
listening to, and the chat program is listening to the Mic input of your
soundcard, so it doesn't even know that winamp is playing anything.  The
only problem would be is, if you don't have what is called a
multi-channel soundcard, the voice chat program might not be able to
access your sound card, if winamp already has it, and the opasit is also
true.  A good example of this is, if you have an  older card that does
not support multi-channel, you will often get an error when you try to
listen to winamp files, if the screenreader is talking when you bring it
up.

Sorry for being so long winded, but I hope I was of some help.  I am just
glad Winamp supports 2 soundcards.  I have an on board card that handles
the windows sounds and Eliquents and a high end Yamaha for audio
applications.  Windows media has finally made that feature avail now, to
bad Real Player still hasn't!  I have the tara pluggin, so that isn't a
problem when playing Real audio files on my hard drive, but Real player
still wants to play internet streams.  Does anyone know a way to force
winamp to play .rm, or .ra streams?

Have a good one:
John