WinAmp and M3U's

  • From: Brad Dunse <bram4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WinAmp4TheBlind <winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:16:52 -0500

OK. I've got a really stupid question. I see WinAmp produces a M3U file for
it's play list. I had thought m3u files were a Microsoft media player file,
instead of ram for Real Player for instance. Now this may seem off topic
but it's not, hang with me. I have a site in which I've encoded files  the
page with m3u extensions so those who I intended to listen to the files,
could use either Real Player, WinAmp or whatever, but if nothing else
they  could use Windows Media Player. So I did this and lo, Media Player
worked and I thought all is well with my idea. However, now I try to listen
to those files and of course WinAmp is now set as my default player and it
gives me a 401 bad command error. Is m3u not a Media Player extension? And
if not why then did it work? And what would be the right Media Player
extension I can recode my page with so those without a player can stil
listen, and more importantly I can listen with WinAmp again? I hope I made
it clear enough. Thanks. I think WinAmp is seeing these m3u's as play lists
I guess

Brad