Using winamp to stream metadata to an Icecast server?

  • From: Bob Kanish <bkanish@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind <winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 14:24:28 -0700

HI all. this is a bit of a technical question so please bear with me.
I use two instances of Winamp when I do Internet broadcasting: one
that just plays the music, and one that actually handles the
compression and streaming. Now, since the instance of winamp that
handles the streaming is not the instance that plays the music, the
broadcasting instance can't stream the artist and title information to
the server. Fortunately, Shoutcast servers can accept separate streams
for the audio and metadata, then serve them both to the listeners at
the same time. So, in the instance of winamp that plays the music, I
use a plugin that streams only the metadata to the Shoutcast server,
while the broadcasting instance streams the audio.

What I am wondering is if Icecast servers can do the same thing. Can
an Icecast server accept separate streams for the audio and metadata,
then serve it to the listeners? If the answer is yes, is there a
plugin for winamp that can stream just the metadata to an Icecast
server? thanks in advance for any information you can give me.
-Bob