Re: Problems with Winamp and Vista.

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:38:27 -0500

Hi Shane. I don't know if this would help, but here's something you might be able to do. Go to the website in question and instead of pressing enter on the link and launching Winamp from there, hit your context menu key, 2 keys to the left of the left arrow, and choose save target as. This lets you download the m3u file to your machine, and you can then save it to any folder you like, or if it's easier, you could save it on your desktop so you can get to it easier. I have the same problem and I'm still running XP home, so I don't know why it does that. Another thing you might be able to do is to open up the m3u file in note pad or another text editor and then copy the address to the windows clipboard. Then go to Winamp, hit control plus l and paste your address in there. Winamp will remember the last 10 or so addresses you pasted in there, so simply pressing enter on the one you want *should* do the trick.

But try that and see if that doesn't solve that little problem.
I'd be interested to know how it works.
Good luck!

At 02:56 PM 9/12/2007, you wrote:
Hi there, everyone. I am just subscribed to this list, and I have a question that needs an urgent answer. Winamp is causing me much trouble under Windows Vista Home Premium. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times, and the problem is still there, whatever I try. Here is what's happening: Winamp will not keep my settings. I have a favorite web destination that I like to visit, and the site has an m3u file that streams, just like Main Menu on Demand, a site with which I'm sure some of you are very familiar. The first time I go up to the site, Winamp comes right up and plays the file. After a re-boot, Winamp forgets how to open such a file. This means that the m3u file comes up and winamp says, "So and So.mp3 stopped. It will no longer play the file, no matter what I do. It also does this with .pls files, and I can't understand it at all. At this point, I'm stuck using Windows Media Player 11 for my audio needs. I have unassociated the file type, reassociated the file type, told Winamp not to restore file settings on start, and I have told it to restore said file types. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, as noted above, to no avail. Can you all help? Is anyone having such a problem with this combination: Windows Vista Home Premium, E-Machine with Realtech sound device, Winamp 5.35 full version, Window-Eyes, etc. etc. All discussion is appreciated very much.

Shane Jackson
Information Technology Manager

Solid Ground Christian Books
715 Oak Grove Road