Problems with Winamp and Vista.

  • From: "Shane Jackson, Solid Ground Christian Books" <jack728@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:56:27 -0500

Hi there, everyone.  I am just subscribed to this list, and I have a
question that needs an urgent answer.  Winamp is causing me much trouble
under Windows Vista Home Premium.  I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it
several times, and the problem is still there, whatever I try.  Here is
what's happening:  Winamp will not keep my settings.  I have a favorite web
destination that I like to visit, and the site has an m3u file that streams,
just like Main Menu on Demand, a site with which I'm sure some of you are
very familiar.  The first time I go up to the site, Winamp comes right up
and plays the file.  After a re-boot, Winamp forgets how to open such a
file.  This means that the m3u file comes up and winamp says, "So and So.mp3
stopped.  It will no longer play the file, no matter what I do.  It also
does this with .pls files, and I can't understand it at all.  At this point,
I'm stuck using Windows Media Player 11 for my audio needs.  I have
unassociated the file type, reassociated the file type, told Winamp not to
restore file settings on start, and I have told it to restore said file
types.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled, as noted above, to no avail.
Can you all help?  Is anyone having such a problem with this combination:
Windows Vista Home Premium, E-Machine with Realtech sound device, Winamp
5.35 full version, Window-Eyes, etc. etc.  All discussion is appreciated
very much.

Shane Jackson

Information Technology Manager

Solid Ground Christian Books