Fwd: [VirusUpdates] No virus - Winamp program vulerability

  • From: Dan <va3ets@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:37:54 -0500

Hey all, here's an email which I received from an email list to which news
to do with any virus, or security holes in programs is posted.  Since this
one involved winamp, I thought i'd forward it on

>Good morning all - a quick news story for today. If you are not a Winamp
>user - now is a good time for the delete key!
>
>Warning: critical Winamp vuln
>Security researchers are warning of a serious - and unfixed - security hole
>with the popular Winamp media player. A remotely  exploitable stack based
>buffer overflow creates a means for hackers to take over machines running
>Winamp- providing they can trick users into running maliciously constructed
>files. The details on the story are in the links provided - the problem is
>similar to the IE buffer overflow condition.
>http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10013
>http://www.vnunet.com/news/1159673

>$9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
>http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/kgFolB/TM

>     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Dan In Brantford, Ontario, Canada.
Amateur radio station VA3ets.
EchoLink node number:6165.   Skype name: va3ets
Email or MSN: va3ets@xxxxxxxx