[william_cala] From Africa to You

  • From: <wcala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: william_cala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:29:16 -0400

Greetings from Africa!

Joanne and I have been keeping a very hectic but rewarding schedule.

Our first week was in Tanzania where we were able to see the completed three
classroom block for Usambara Girls School in Korogwe, Tanzania.  We were
thrilled with the final product.  Also, we were able to see the three student
teachers from Nazareth College completing their 7 week assignment as teachers
of English as a second language.  They did a great job and acclimated
marvelously to African life.  Congratulations, Amanda Lynch, Kelly LaLonde and
Lauren Payne for a job well done.

We were able to try out our first shoe distribution at the Montessori
pre-school in Kurogwe, Tanzania.  We have our plan worked out and were able to
distribute 108 pairs of sandals.  What we learned from the process will help us
this week with the distribution of 2,600 pairs of shoes at 4 different schools
and orphanages here in Kenya.  Today we measured the children at St. Claire’s
Orphanage in Kisumu.  St. Claire’s houses about 70 children, most HIV positive.
 Check out the attached photos.  All relate to St. Claire’s.  Joanne is with
Sr. Philomena, the “Mother Theresa” of the orphanage.  We purchased hundreds of
kilograms of rice, beans and corn that will feed the children for 2 weeks.  In
two weeks time, the chickens that Sr. Philomena is raising will be ready for
market and there will be money available to purchase food from that point
forward.

When we visited Sister today, we discovered that they were out of food and
medicines for the kids.  In addition to the food, we were able to purchase a
significant quantity of medications.  We are so pleased to be able to provide
medical assistance to St. Claire’s in memory of Angela O’Laskey.  Angela was a
Greece Arcadia angel who died after a battle with cancer.  Angela wanted to
help with our mission in Africa and we are humbled to be able to do this in her
honor.

I think you can see from the looks on our faces that we are overjoyed to be
able to be helping these beautiful children.  We often have many very difficult
and frustrating days, however, it is days like today that make it all
worthwhile.

We hope to report back to you in the next week to 10 days.  Today was a “good”
internet day so we are taking advantage of it.  The electricity is on, the
water is running and the toilet is working.  It doesn’t get any better than
this!!

Thanks for all of your help.  It is YOU who make the children here live a life
with dignity.

Peace and love,

Bill and Joanne
www.joiningheartsandhands.org