[webproducers] Re: persuading a project manager that formal testing is important???

  • From: "Scott Huber" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:00:38 -0700

Excellent advice.

I would add that a professional development team takes the time and
effort to absorb good development practices, even outside of a current
project.

Have a weekly meeting to talk about process... buy lunch for the team
and sit and discuss chapters from books like "Rapid Development" or
"Extreme Programming".  Sound hokey?  It's not... it's a free lunch for
them and if nothing else over time critical thought processes like
Project Scope, Risk Assessment and different development models will all
be part of their arsenal.  They will learn to think top level with the
critical skills to know if they are moving in the right direction at any
stage of your project.

Also, one of the toughest things to schedule is the wrap-up meeting.
It's critical to evaluate completed projects while it is still fresh in
the minds of the team.  Do not close the job until everyone has had the
chance to voice their input on what went right and what went wrong with
a project.  The client is not allowed at this meeting, though you should
have their evaluation in hand to help guide the meeting as well.  This
is a perfect opportunity to hold people's feet to the fire and reward
the heroes.  It needs to be constructive and people need to hear
criticism... this is a big outlet as well as team-building exercise.

-Scott
http://promofo.com