[webproducers] culture based---How to Negotiate Salary

  • From: "morry" <morry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 13:06:37 -0600

I realized that most of the sources I found for negotiating salary reflect US
perspectives. I know from living and working in London and teaching ESL that
due to cultural differences protocol it isn't always the same everywhere. In
some places one might want to adapt the approach slightly with the same goal
but I'm not sure.

I'd be interested to know feedback from people. Someone on the list once told
me that in Hong Kong this would be totally unacceptable. Of course I know
people in the US who swore the same thing then tried these techniques and were
amazed at how well they work and how much respect employers gave them.

Morry

Questions and comments are welcome just e-mail me, morry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx