[webproducers] Re: Gathering comments on a document

  • From: Marc Siry <lists@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Chris Hartley <chris.hartley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:01:54 -0500

Chris Hartley wrote:

> Users download file, and then post comments on board after reading.
>
> Anyone got any good suggestions on freeware bulleting boards?

Yes- phpBB.

http://www.phpbb.com/

I recently implemented a phpBB board:

http://forums.comiculture.com/

...and both the client and I are very happy with it.

It was relatively straightforward to install, configure, and edit. Users can
have different access levels and privileges, and files can be attached to
messages.

Ceaveat: It requires a server running a relatively modern version of PHP and
a MySQL database. I have my own co-located server with root access, so I
didn't have to jump through a lot of the config hoops that someone might if
they were using a commercial host, or hosting within a company with a
paranoid sysadmin.

----
marc siry
freelance interactive creative director
new york city, usa

Questions and comments are welcome just e-mail  info at webproducers dot org