[wdmaudiodev] shell API calls during co-installation?

  • From: "Andrew Wheeler" <AWheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:54:19 -0600

Does anyone know if the Explorer shell API calls are safe to use in a
driver co-installer?  I'd like to use SHGetFolderPath() during the
DIF_INSTALLDEVICE stage of my install.  I've had only moderate success
with using the shell API in a co-installer (in particular, the
SHFileOperation would sometimes fail to the point that my co-installer
would immediately exit as though the routine was signaling an exception,
and my try..catch wrapping the function was getting ignored), and wonder
if it's really meant to be used from anything but your run-of-the-mill
GUI apps.  Does anyone have experience w/ using the shell API functions
from a co-installer?

Thanks for any tips and kibitzing!  :-)

-andrew