[wdmaudiodev] Re: kmixer bypassing

  • From: "Jerry Evans" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 13:28:24 +0100

Hi Borislav

The USB class definition for audio does, I think, allow a device to indicate it is capable of hardware mixing. See the discusision about descriptors in the spec here: http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/audio10.pdf.

Now, I've heard the same from someone at Benchmark, that they have a USB Audio Class device, yet it presents itself to Windows as having a hardware mixer and so kmixer is bypassed--and _no_ driver is installed by the user.

It would be interesting to test this out with a USB prototyping kit - since it's only a case of organising the descriptors and not actually implementing the firmware it might be quite easy to verify.