[wdmaudiodev] Re: help on MSVAD

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 11:46:34 -0800

Arijit Paul wrote:

>Thanks for replying to my query. We are not redirecting audio from one logical
>device to another.

Well, yes, you are.

>I am writing a virtual audio deriver which will be installed in windows. It
>will work as follows - a voice chat application will select this driver for
>audio i/p and o/p.
>Think about this driver as your normal sound card driver. But instead of
>playing sound in your PC, it  will  make  all the voice data available to
>another application and this application will process this voice data in
>whatever way it wants. This way we can record the voice coming out from an
>application or play it in another PC.

I believe Microsoft's assertion is that they do not want you to DO that
behind the back of the application.  The application should be in
complete control of the audio stream.  If the app wants you interfering
with and tapping into its audio stream, then the app should add a "tee"
filter to its graph and pipe the data in user space.

I don't necessarily agree with their position, and I think they are
actively preventing some useful and commercially viable audio
architecture concepts, but that seems to be the story.

>I have found one commercial s/w which already does something like this. The
>s/w is virtual audio cable ( http://nrcde.ru/music/software/eng/vac.html ) and
>this works perfectly fine in windows.

I'll bet that it doesn't work with WaveRT drivers in Vista.