[wdmaudiodev] Re: Which audio driver model?

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 18:03:25 -0700

Matt Gonzalez wrote:

> I have developed drivers using both PortCls and AVStream.
>
> AVStream is better for handling external hardware since it can handle
> surprise removal.  It sounds like your solution is software only, so
> that doesn't matter.
>
> Of the two that I have used, AVStream is more flexible but harder to
> implement.  There aren't any good sample drivers, so it's much harder
> to get started, especially if you don't have any experience with audio
> drivers.  In addition, an AVStream audio driver has to implement quite
> a bit of the functionality that PortCls does for you.

Do think so?  The "simple" MSVAD sample has about 15% more lines of code
than than AVStream "avssamp" sample, which implements both a video and
an audio pin.

I admit that I have done a lot of AVStream and not a lot of PortCls, but
I think I would have given exactly the opposite advice.  Interesting.