[wdmaudiodev] Re: Vista MIDI Serial Port Driver

  • From: "Mark Heath" <mark.heath@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:37:46 +0100

thanks Don,

I think I have to write a driver because I want my serial port to appear as
a MIDI in and MIDI out device to other recording applications. I have some
experience in serial port comms with the Win32 API so I will be very happy
if I can simply use them in a PortCls driver. I've got the DMusUart sample
miniport driver compiling which I'm hoping to use as my starting point.

Mark

On 4/13/07, Don Bell <0dbell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 4/13/07, Mark Heath <mark.heath@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am looking into the possibility of writing a serial port MIDI driver
for
> Windows Vista, as the Korg X5D serial port driver will not install on
Vista.
> I am very new to drivers, so please excuse my ignorance if these are
stupid
> questions
>
> Am I right in thinking I would need to create a PortCls driver with a
MIDI
> miniport driver, or is it possible for me to create something using the
user
> mode driver framework?

I am a newbie too, but I think that I can fortunately answer this
question:

It is unclear to me whether you want to write a MIDI application or
whether you want to write a driver. If you do want to write a driver,
then your only recourse is to create a PortCls driver with a MIDI
miniport driver (WDM, not even KMDF).

Using an existing serial port for the purpose of passing MIDI data,
however, can be implemented as a user-mode program.

Again, it is possible that I misunderstood you, so please take the
above with a grain of salt.

> Second, do I need to learn some kind of kernel mode API for reading /
> writing to the serial port, or is there a way of simply writing to it as
> though it were the UART on a PCI soundcard?

Reading and writing from/to the serial port in user mode is as simple
as using CreateFile() and related Win32 functions:

http://www.codeproject.com/system/chaiyasit_t.asp

However, if what you really want to do is write a PortCls MIDI
miniport driver, then you must study WDM (mind boggling new
terminology for a newbie).

Good luck!
Don