[wdmaudiodev] Vista MIDI Serial Port Driver

  • From: "Mark Heath" <mark.heath@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:15:44 +0100

I am looking into the possibility of writing a serial port MIDI driver for
Windows Vista, as the Korg X5D serial port driver will not install on Vista.
I am very new to drivers, so please excuse my ignorance if these are stupid
questions

Am I right in thinking I would need to create a PortCls driver with a MIDI
miniport driver, or is it possible for me to create something using the user
mode driver framework?

Second, do I need to learn some kind of kernel mode API for reading /
writing to the serial port, or is there a way of simply writing to it as
though it were the UART on a PCI soundcard?

Finally, if I were to pull this off (a big if - all depends on how much time
it takes me to get up to speed on device driver development), I would make
it available as open source, so if there is anyone here who would like to
collaborate, do get in touch.

thanks
Mark