[wdmaudiodev] Re: USB MIDI

  • From: David Chovanec <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 13:08:25 +0100

>> I  am  pretty  new to driver development. I need to write a driver for
>> USB MIDI device. I read the DDK docs but it seems so that I am lost in
>> all the models and and restrictions. There is a nice WDM USB sample in
>> the  DDK but what to do as next? How to create the MIDI ports and read
>> write data to them?
tpc>
tpc> If you make your MIDI device compliant with the USB audio class spec,
tpc> you don't need a driver at all.  The stock USBAUDIO.SYS will handle it
tpc> for you.  Audio drivers are onerous enough that there is almost no
tpc> incentive to do things any different.

The   problem   is   that  USBAUDIO.SYS  does  not  support  USB  MIDI
specification  under Win2000, not talking about many users still using
w98.  This  userbase  is  too  large to be ignored. That is one of the
reasons  why  every  commercial USB MIDI device on the market delivers
custom drivers.

David