[wdmaudiodev] Re: USB MIDI

  • From: timr@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:45:47 -0800

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 02:03:00PM +0100, David Chovanec wrote:

> I  am  pretty  new to driver development. I need to write a driver for
> USB MIDI device. I read the DDK docs but it seems so that I am lost in
> all the models and and restrictions. There is a nice WDM USB sample in
> the  DDK but what to do as next? How to create the MIDI ports and read
> write data to them?

If you make your MIDI device compliant with the USB audio class spec,
you don't need a driver at all.  The stock USBAUDIO.SYS will handle it
for you.  Audio drivers are onerous enough that there is almost no
incentive to do things any different.
--
- Tim Roberts, timr@xxxxxxxxx
  Providenza & Boeklheide, Inc.