[wdmaudiodev] Two unrelated questions

  • From: Matt Gonzalez <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 14:56:42 -0800

Hello all-

Here are some questions that have come up on unrelated projects:

Our current PCI cards are 32 bit/33 MHz. I am investigating porting to 64 bit Windows. The snag, obviously, is that the card can't address physical memory past 4 GB.

Right now, the driver uses the WavePci port/miniport model. I would think that this would be OK if, in the NewStream call, I just return a pointer to an IDmaChannel that's set up properly for this situation. However, the docs state "...port driver never uses the /DmaChannel/ pointer that it receives from the *NewStream* call".

So - is this statement still true in 64 bit Windows? Are my DMA parameters being ignored for the WavePci mappings? Do I have to double-buffer the memory myself?

My second question has to do with cloning stream pointers in an AVStream driver. Are stream pointer clones allocated from a lookaside list or something similar? The docs seem to encourage cloning; I just want to have warm fuzzies that I'm not doing lots of heap allocations and causing memory fragmentation.

Thanks,

Matt