[wdmaudiodev] Surround sound playback on Windows Vista

  • From: Matt Gonzalez <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 16:46:01 -0700

We are close to releasing surround support for our FireWire audio devices; everything else is working except for DVD playback on Windows Vista Ultimate.

The audio devices show up correctly in the Sound control panel and display the correct format. The Test button in the Advanced tab plays the test sound out of each channel. So that's all fine.

Windows Media Player and Media Center will happily play back music files.

However, neither Windows Media Player nor Media Center will play back a DVD. Attempting to play back some of the sample video clips that come with Media Center (for example, the Apollo 13 clip) results in Media Center crashing.

The devices are line-outputs and have their output pins tagged with KSNODETYPE_LINE_CONNECTOR. The driver is AVStream-based.

I've been going back through the mailing list and checking and I've done everything I could see to do. I've made sure that my data range intersection and set format handlers always return 0 for the channel mask for multichannel devices and require the channel count to always be correct.

I do not have handlers for KSPROPERTY_PIN_PROPOSEDATAFORMAT or KSPROPERTY_JACK_DESCRIPTION.

So I'm staring into a black box here and am not sure where to proceed.

Thanks,

Matt