[wdmaudiodev] Problems accessing HD Audio as a sound device in XPSP3

  • From: Preston Fick <prestonfick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 19:20:19 -0500

I am a developer with mostly USB device driver experience and am currently
writing an HD Audio driver for XPSP3 for an HD Audio codec. The device works
in Vista with the inbox UAA/HD Audio class driver.

I began with the AC97 sample, and was able to get it to load and communicate
with the codec through the verbs and get information/resource interfaces.
However it was not exposing itself to Sound/Device Properties as an
available default sound device.

At this point I figured something wasn't right with AC97, so I baselined off
of the MSVAD Simple driver. This installs fine from the WDK and comes up
as an available device I can actually stream something to, so I modified it
for my use. However, I am seeing the same problem.

If I use the MSVAD Simple driver, but only modify the INF to contain my
Hardware ID, it loads with no errors (DriverEntry/AddDevice/StartDevice),
however its still not available as a sound device. I am still able to add in
code to talk with the HD Audio Codec without problems. It seems like the
step I am missing is simple and have tried anything I can think of with no
positive results.

I'm planning on developing this driver using WavePCI, and I have gone
through and drawn out my topologies - so I have a good start, but in order
to proceed I need a little help in the bring-up. Any advice would be great.

Developing using:
Debugger machine running XPSP3 w/WDK 6001.18002
Debugee machine running XPSP3 w/all Windows Updates - using the HD Audio
Link on an Intel MB.

Kind Regards -
Preston