[wdmaudiodev] Re: MSVAD multistr multiple streams supported or NOT !!!!

  • From: Vipin Kumar <vipin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:50:18 +0530

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.

if only single stream is supported then what's the difference between  MSVAD
simple and MSVAD multstr ?????

why this line is defined in multi.h  in  multstr director
#define MAX_INPUT_STREAMS           8       // Number of render streams.

and why this comment exists ( code to process multiple streams is below the
comment) in minwave.cpp in multstr directory

minwave.cpp in multstr  LINE no. 322

 // This version supports multiple playback streams.
 //

can you please throw some light in here ( if we don't support multiple
streams then why the code is written to support multiple streams ?? )

can someone from microsoft explain this bit

Actually i am writing a terminal services auduo output/input stuff.
so all the users will select one audio device, and it will handle all the
streams ( one stream for one user or session) and so on.

Thanks.

Regards,
Vipin

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:24 PM, Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Vipin Kumar wrote:
> >
> >     i am developing a driver off MSVAD multistr  but  when i tested
> > the sample driver on XP SP3,  multiple streams are not getting created..
> >
> > i am playing 3 different songs using 3 different, so as 3 streams
> > should be simultaneously active  however, only 1 stream is created,
> > CMiniportWaveCyclic::NewStream ( minwave.cpp ) is callled  only when
> > no stream is active. If only 1 stream can be active then what is the
> > difference of MSVAD simple and MSVAD multistr .
> >
> > Can somebody throw some light as to why the sample is not working.If i
> > am thing right 3 media player, playing 3 songs(simulateneously in 3
> > different players) should make 3 active streams. is this true???
>
> Nope, only in user mode.  Windows includes a "kernel mixer", which will
> mathematically mix all of your streams into a single data stream to feed
> to the default playback device.  Remember, you haven't really created
> multiple "streams".  As far as the system knows, what you have created
> is multiple separate output DEVICES.
>
> If you want multiple output streams to go to separate output devices,
> you have to change each application to request that output device.
> Barring that, all applications will output to the default playback
> device, and all streams will be mixed in the kernel mixer.
>
> However, I'm wondering why you would WANT separate apps to go to
> separate output devices.
>
> --
> Tim Roberts, timr@xxxxxxxxx
> Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.