[wdmaudiodev] KMDF and AVStream revisited

  • From: Daniel Rice <drice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 12:56:22 -0800

Hi,

I know this topic has been discussed on this list many times, although in
reading through the threads I really didn't find a compelling reason to go one
way or the other, so I was looking for some opinion as we move towards our
final decision.

My company is currently building a new windows usb audio driver, including an
ASIO driver, so, as far as I understand it, we're faced with 3 possible
architecture options:

1.       AVStream (No KMDF use)

2.       KMDF driver in "Miniport" mode with AVStream (Some KMDF use possible,
but not IOQueues and PNP support will be through AVStream)

3.       KMDF driver with separate AVStream driver that communicates over
IOCtls (Complete KMDF use available)

Pros and cons basically come down to code footprint, and code simplicity
considering the limitations of each option. If we do go the KMDF route, we gain
a lot by having access to the continuous usb reader stuff, so that's definitely
a benefit of options 2 and 3, although in option 3, it seems the communication
between 2 drivers might require a lot of code and synchronization. I'm not
really sure what the best approach is. At the same time, we really benefit from
the use of Plug and Play and Power management through KMDF in option 3.

I'm interested on opinions as well as alternate approaches to what we have
listed.

Thanks for your time,

-Dan