[wdmaudiodev] Re: Fwd: KSPROPERTY_PIN_PROPOSEDATAFORMAT vs KSPROPERTY_PIN_PROPOSEDATAFORMAT2

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 09:03:47 -0700

Zubin Polra wrote:

It seems that KSPROPERTY_TYPE_SET of
KSPROPERTY_PIN_PROPOSEDATAFORMAT*2* has different meaning than
KSPROPERTY_TYPE_SET of KSPROPERTY_PIN_PROPOSEDATAFORMAT and MSDN is
not specifying any thing regarding this.

Of course it does. It's right there in the documentation.
PROPOSEDDATAFORMAT takes a KSDATAFORMAT structure, so you can specify
exactly one format. PROPOSEDDATAFORMAT2 takes a KSMULTIPLE_ITEM
structure, which allows the client to submit a list of formats. The
request succeeds if the driver supports any of them. It's an optimization.

I don't understand the need of KSPROPERTY_PIN_PROPOSEDATAFORMAT2.

Why driver should support it if it is already supporting
KSPROPERTY_PIN_PROPOSEDATAFORMAT.

No reason, as far as I can tell. PROPOSEDDATAFORMAT should be enough.
Do you have evidence that it is not?