[wdmaudiodev] Re: Fwd: KSPROPERTY_PIN_PROPOSEDATAFORMAT vs KSPROPERTY_PIN_PROPOSEDATAFORMAT2

  • From: Frank Yerrace <Frank.Yerrace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 16:42:37 +0000

I believe the MSDN documentation for KSPROPERTY_PIN_PROPOSEDATAFORMAT2 is a
fair bit misleading, unfortunately. Thanks for pointing this out. I’ll start
the process to get that fixed.

KSPROPERTY_PIN_PROPOSEDATAFORMAT2 is a somewhat different than
KSPROPERTY_PIN_PROPOSEDATAFORMAT and probably should have been named
differently. The sysvad sample driver demonstrates an implementation. The OS
uses the property to query the audio driver for a proposed format for a given
signal processing mode. This allows the audio driver to prefer different audio
formats for different audio signal processing modes.

(And yes, we recognize that the documentation around audio signal processing
modes is currently somewhat bleak as well. We are already in the process of
improving this, too.)

Regards,
Frank Yerrace