[wdmaudiodev] Re: Enumeration Sequence?

  • From: "Martin Garcia" <doraemonx7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:35:29 +0000

This is how I have solved this problem...it may not be the proper way, but it has worked very well.

I have 4 inf files. Each inf file has a device description which indicates the card id. When the user is about to install the card, the four inf files are found and the user has to select which inf file to use. Then, the inf file installs the card and writes the corresponding card id to the registry. When the driver loads, it looks at its corresponding registry entry to determine its card id.

For example in the inf file for device 3:

*Audio.DeviceDesc="My Company My Device WDM Device as Adapter 3"

Of course, the inf files are not exact duplicates. Each device identifier in the inf has the card id embedded with the device.

For example:

For card id 3 and device 2, I have:

Audio_Device.szPname ="3-Card Name/2 Wave"

You have to do the same for the KSNAME_... and when your driver loads and you install the sub devices you have to generate the names based on the id of the card you read in the registry. So your KSNAME_... has the card id and device number embedded.

This may not be the correct way to do this, but it definitely has worked for our customers.

I assume you already know how to enumerate various devices in the same inf file. Basically do the same thing, but include the card id in the device names and have multiple inf files. If you need more information, let me know.

From: "Stephen Jones" <sjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wdmaudiodev] Enumeration Sequence?
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:33:26 -0400

Can anyone tell me in what sequence audio devices are enumerated for XP? For example, we use a system with 64 channels of audio (32 devices) on four PCI cards. (A bunch of audio) These devices normally enumerate starting with the first PCI card slot and so on until the last card's device.

This enumeration sequence is listed in the control panel for example under audio devices. This is also the sequence that they are enumerated using DirectSound to enumerate devices.

My questions are: What determines the sequence? Can I guarantee that device 1 on PCI card 1 will always be in the enumeration sequence before the next card, etc.? For example, we can use third party audio cards with our system also, which can add to the total number of devices. (As you know, there is a limit of 32 devices in XP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Stephen Jones President SimPhonics, Inc. 3226 North Falkenburg Road Tampa, Florida 33619 Voice (813) 623-9917 X 102 FAX (813) 623-5119 www.simphonics.com