[wdmaudiodev] Enumeration Sequence?

  • From: "Stephen Jones" <sjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:33:26 -0400

Can anyone tell me in what sequence audio devices are enumerated for XP?  For
example, we use a system with 64 channels of audio (32 devices) on four PCI
cards. (A bunch of audio)  These devices normally enumerate starting with the
first PCI card slot and so on until the last card's device.

This enumeration sequence is listed in the control panel for example under
audio devices.  This is also the sequence that they are enumerated using
DirectSound to enumerate devices.

My questions are:  What determines the sequence?  Can I guarantee that device 1
on PCI card 1 will always be in the enumeration sequence before the next card,
etc.?  For example, we can use third party audio cards with our system also,
which can add to the total number of devices.  (As you know, there is a limit
of 32 devices in XP)

Stephen Jones
President
SimPhonics, Inc.