[wdmaudiodev] Re: Capturing protected audio using MS Detours

  • From: ambrish dantrey <a4ambrish@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Matthew.van.Eerde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 01:36:58 +0530

Thanks Matthew for your answer.

What does control of player mean here?

Let me give you an example. If I had a bluray disk with protected audio
data, I can't directly read it since data is encrypted. Only some trusted
playback applications (e.g. Cyberlink PowerDVD) have keys to decrypt it.

These playback applications use DRM calls to make sure there is a trusted
audio driver to handle protected data. Once DRM calls succeed they start
sending data over to driver through GetBuffer() and ReleaseBuffer() calls.
The assumption is that once DRM calls succeed, it is safe to hand over
decrypted data to OS (and driver).

However, I can easily inject detoured functions into PowerDVD process and
capture the decrypted data. I don't need source code of player or any other
authentication.

Doesn't this represent a hole in DRM pipeline?

Thanks and regards,
Ambrish