[wdmaudiodev] Re: Capturing protected audio using MS Detours

  • From: Etienne Dechamps <etienne@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 19:50:31 +0100

On 04/09/2013 17:34, ambrish dantrey wrote:
I just did a POC which captures audio data using MS detours. All I did
was to detour GetBuffer() and ReleaseBuffer() calls and dump audio data
in a file. I have tested it out and it seem to be working fine.

I was wondering how this POC will behave with protected content (HBR
audio data usually available with BDs). Will it be able to capture
protected data?

Theoretically, no: AFAIK, you cannot access the memory of a protected process from a non-protected one, you cannot attach a non-protected debugger to a protected process, and you cannot inject an unsigned DLL into a protected process. I'm not sure what method Detours uses to install its hooks, but whatever it is, it will probably fail for one of these reasons.

--
Etienne Dechamps