[visionrehabtherapist] Re: Sad news from UWM

  • From: "TONI I. WALLS" <toni.i.walls@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VRT Listserve <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:23:26 -0400

 She was simply the greatest person I have ever known. I am so honored to have
learned from her. She is surely missed.

Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:20:28 -0500
From: BJLejeune@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [visionrehabtherapist] Sad news from UWM

I am passing along this heartbreaking message from Donna Lee.  In know you all
share with me the sadness of losing such a tremendous friend and colleague who
has done so much to enrich our lives and our profession.
BJ
It is with very a very sorrowful heart that I write to you this evening on
behalf of all my colleagues at WMU.  This morning, after a courageous battle,
Sue Ponchillia passed away.  Together, Paul and Sue were known for being an
incredible couple who worked tirelessly for our department, but also our field.
 Sue’s presence at WMU always brought smiles and laughter, as she touched the
lives of so many far beyond the student’s she taught.  As one of her student’s
myself, she certainly made a lasting impression on me that I’m sure helped
guide me to where I am today (ironically just two doors down from her own
office).  She will be missed more than words can express . . .

Tentative plans are for a memorial service on Saturday, October 24th.  I will
keep everyone updated on specifics as we know more.  In the meanwhile, please
join us in supporting Paul during this difficult time.

Many thanks for your thoughts and prayers in advance,

The Department of Blindness and Low Vision Studies at WMU

Donna Brostek Lee
Assistant Professor
Western Michigan University
Department of Blindness and Low Vision Studies
1903 West Michigan Avenue
Mailstop 5218
Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5218
Office: (269) 387-5944