[visionrehabtherapist] Re: Sad news from UWM

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <BJLejeune@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Penny Reeder" <penny.reeder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 21:32:23 -0400

I know that I am saying everything that everyone else is saying, but I know Sue is really going to be missed.

When I was at Western, Sue took me under her wing, the lonely girl from Pennsylvania and made sure I came out the other end a confident, and capable Rt. She helped me get through that dreaded masters thesis, and even one day while giving me two bottles of water and kindly yelling at me after I donated blood, passed out, and well, smile, was not quite able to do the rest of my work that day. I am going to miss her, her humor, her heart, and her desire. Sue was one of those who knew and how it was to be a blind person, one of the few smile. I am going to miss her, terribly.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Penny Reeder" <penny.reeder@xxxxxxxxx> To: <BJLejeune@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 12:44 PM
Subject: Re: [visionrehabtherapist] Sad news from UWM

Dear colleagues,

Any one of us who has ever benefitted from
excellent rehabilitation services or meaningful
and relevant rehabilitation teaching has
benefitted from Sue's life work, and she will be
soarly missed.  I add my voice to others as I
share a message of sincere condolence with Sue's
husband, Paul, and her family and friends.
Sincerely,
Penny Reeder

At 10:20 AM 10/13/2009, B.J. LeJeune wrote:

I am passing along this heartbreaking message from Donna Lee. In know you all share with me the sadness of losing such a tremendous friend and colleague who has done so much to enrich our lives and our profession.

BJ

It is with very a very sorrowful heart that I write to you this evening on behalf of all my colleagues at WMU. This morning, after a courageous battle, Sue Ponchillia passed away. Together, Paul and Sue were known for being an incredible couple who worked tirelessly for our department, but also our field. Sueâ?Ts presence at WMU always brought smiles and laughter, as she touched the lives of so many far beyond the studentâ?Ts she taught. As one of her studentâ?Ts myself, she certainly made a lasting impression on me that Iâ?Tm sure helped guide me to where I am today (ironically just two doors down from her own office). She will be missed more than words can express . . . <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Tentative plans are for a memorial service on Saturday, October 24th. I will keep everyone updated on specifics as we know more. In the meanwhile, please join us in supporting Paul during this difficult time.

Many thanks for your thoughts and prayers in advance,

The Department of Blindness and Low Vision Studies at WMU

Donna Brostek Lee

Assistant Professor

Western Michigan University

Department of Blindness and Low Vision Studies

1903 West Michigan Avenue

Mailstop 5218

Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5218

Office: (269) 387-5944