[visionrehabtherapist] Re: Giving Up Driving

  • From: "Voigt, Linda \(OCFS\)" <Linda.Voigt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <OANDM@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:00:01 -0400

Here in New York we came up with a policy that if a person wants to have
their case opened for services, we advise them that if they are still
driving, we have to report it to the Department of Motor Vehicles, who
will investigate.  If they decide they would rather keep driving than
get services, we advise them that they should not be driving and
document it.  There was a conflict  last year with a consumer who has RP
and was told by the DMV that as long as her acuity was at a certain
level, she could drive regardless of her fields.  We need to work more
with the DMV to get some guidelines for fields.
  Used to be here that when someone was declared legally blind, the
Sheriff Dept. would make a visit and take away their license!  I guess
that cuts at DMV have eliminated a  lot of what they used to do. Eye
exams are only given every 8 years now, when licenses are renewed.
That's a long time to go.

This communication, together with any attachments hereto or links contained
herein, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
information that is confidential, privileged, or legally protected, and as such
is not a public document.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any review, disclosure, copying, dissemination,
distribution or use of this communication is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail message and delete the original and all copies of the
communication, along with any attachments hereto or links herein, from your
system.