[visionrehabtherapist] Re: Easy Writer Full Page Writing Guide

  • From: Penny Reeder <penny.reeder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "McCall, Roberta (DELEG)" <mccallr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>, "Brink-Chaney, Marcie (DELEG)" <brink-chaneym@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <BJLejeune@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ewood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 20:06:38 -0400

Hi Roberta,
Maxiaids has been charged, tried and convicted, at least twice, of very unethical behavior. Once, MaxiAids copied the photography and product descriptions from the Independent Living Aids catalog -- which ILA had paid professionals to develop and create -- and included it in their, MaxiAids, catalog.

Then, later on, the Hilton-Perkins Foundation ahd created a program whereby schools and institutions for the blind in underdeveloped African countries could purchase Perkins BrailleWriters at a rate considerably lower than the market rate. MaxiAids purchased these braillewriters and then re-sold them to people and schools in South America at the full market price, thus cheating African children of the access to braille and equipment they deserved.

Once during a trial when the company CEO's daughter was on the stand testifying, she was associated with the company in some position or another, her father was telling her what to say on the stand from his seat in the courtroom, using sign language!

The company is thoroughly disreputable, and, when I was working as a rehab. teacher, I went out of my way to find products anywhere but MaxiAids! But I know that my colleagues, particularly my sighted colleagues, used MaxiAids frequently. My protests, I'm afraid, were not particularly effective!

Penny

 At 12:54 PM 10/23/2009, McCall, Roberta (DELEG) wrote:
I have heard Penny and Shelly express comments about Maxi Aids.  What
are you referring to when you say "on the grounds of personal opinion
and principles" and illegal dealings in the past"?

Roberta

Roberta McCall, CVRT
Michigan Commission for the Blind
517-335-7231