[visionrehabtherapist] Re: Craft idea directions lamp shade

  • From: Amanda Stine <ofdeafblnd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 13:35:23 -0600

I am posting this to the list in case others are interested too. Unfortunately
I do not have the technical names for the beads involved but will try and
describe them.
Items needed:
Night light (dollar store works great)
Small 4 watt bulb any color
Craft wire (I have used a variety of sizes)
11 safety pins 2" or 2 1/4" long in either silver or gold.
Scissors or wire cutters.
Beads (acrylic or plastic beads and although I have used other shapes the best
seem to be small transparent beads that have three little nubs around the
center. They tend to be found with the kids beads and come either in a multi
color pack or individual colors.

Directions:
Open safety pin and thread beads on the open end only. Fill pin (usually taking
11 beads) close and do all 11 pins. Once done cut about 8" of wire off roll.
Thread wire through the bottom circle shaped part of one pin thread a single
bead through wire and alternate pin bead until you have completed all pins
adding one bead at the end. Twist wire closed into a circle so that the pins if
laid flat on a table would radiate in a circle around the wire almost like a
flower. Note it is important for all the pins to face the same way either bead
side of all the pins up or down.
Next cut a 9inch piece of wire. Start with one pin making sure the wire goes
through the top of the pin at the hole not in the area with the beads thread
two beads and then the second pin. Repeat until ending with two beads. Twist
ends of wire together completing the lampshade. Trim excess wire and tuck in
twisted part into shade making sure it will not touch the bulb when placed on
night light.

**i have left the night light on over night and although they got slightly warm
they were fine. I would not leave them on indefinitely however. I have seen
clear shades and multicolor ones and all are very pretty and give off just
enough light.

The supplies make at least four bulbs if using two colors of beads and total
cost is about fifteen dollars. The more you make the cheaper it gets. If I can
unbury my craft boxes I will try and take pictures of the steps and post those
for the sighted people among us.

Amanda Stine

Administrator e-mail: dietz1112@xxxxxxxxx