[visionegg] Re: graphics drawing

  • From: Andrew Straw <astraw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:21:58 -0800

Dear Gabriel,

This sounds like a really useful addition. Perhaps you could steal^H^H^H^Hborrow someone else's code to make your life considerably easier? Agg has a reputation for being a really great 2D bitmap drawing kit in C++, and perhaps we could even use matplotlib's Python binding. I don't know too much more about other toolkits, but I think there's also an open-source implementation of the Quartz API. IIRC, this is the kiva part of the chaco/scipy toolkit.

I guess speed could be critical in some cases (I can easily forsee wanting to render into a texture object in realtime), so it might be prudent to benchmark any potential libraries before doing any heavy lifting.

I'd be happy to work with you to get this incorporated, although my own time for implementation is pretty limited.

Cheers!
Andrew

On Feb 8, 2005, at 6:51 PM, Gabriel Nevarez wrote:

Hello,

I'm interested in using standard QuickDraw-like drawing functions (such as PaintArc() or PaintRect()) while still maintaing VisionEgg's nice object stimulus model. It's quite easy to go down to the PyGame level and just do it in straight OpenGL, but I'd sacrifice the ability to easily add new stimuli to arbitrary viewports, in addition to many other (great!) VisionEgg benefits.

The closest analogue in the default libs is the MoreStimuli module, particularly Target2D(). In the hopes of delaying creating my own module in this vein, essentially mimicking the QuickDraw/GDI functions that I need, I was wondering if anybody's played around with making such a library for VisionEgg.

Not a particularly difficult task, but quite time-consuming.

Thanks!

-=Gabriel Nevarez
Research Programmer
Psychology Department
Cardiff University
http://www.cf.ac.uk/psych/

Andrew D. Straw  Post-doctoral scholar
,-.              Dickinson Lab
\_/              California Institute of Technology
8||}             Mailcode 138-78
/ \              Pasadena CA 91125, USA
`-^
                 email:  astraw@xxxxxxxxxxx