[visionegg] Re: ephys_gui

  • From: Andrew Straw <astraw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:23:42 -0700

Hi,

I'm a bit pressed for time at this instant, but next week, if you're still having troubles, send another email to the list and I'll spend more time on it.

But, to hopefully answer your questions:

Pyro, in general, is optional for using the Vision Egg. However, it's an integral part of the ephys_server and ephys_gui setup. So, you need to install it. It's homepage is http://pyro.sourceforge.net/

There have very recently been some big improvements to the ephys_server and ephys_gui stuff, thanks to Imran Ali and others from the David O'Carroll lab at the University of Adelaide. In a nutshell, now any Vision Egg script can be run in this ephys_server/gui system without the hassle of writing a specific plug-in module. I am planning on releasing the 1.0 version with this new stuff once I get the proverbial "bit of free time" to test it a bit more and make a proper release. (It can currently be downloaded from CVS, but seeing as you're a self-admitted newbie, I wouldn't recommend that approach...)

Cheers!
Andrew

joe voss wrote:

Hi Ethan,
first of all: thank you for your fast response. I checked the modules and you were right, "Pyro" does not exist.
Unfortunately I did not find the module anywhere. Is it maybe a problem, that I installed Python 2.3.4. I followed the "Instructions for Python 2.3", given on the "Windows Install: Step-by-step" site. On the same site, in "Instructions for Python 2.2 (old)" something is said that an installation of Python-2.2.1 is recommended and more recent releases of Python are available, but a bug (SF #651701) affects ephys_server/gui in Python 2.2.2 and 2.2.3....??? Mabbe that is the problem?
Any ideas?
I hope I´ll get it run ....

Thanks again
Joe

Cohen, Ethan D wrote:

Joe:

I had that problem too as a newbie.
I still am not sure where to put modules to load. I am putting them as
subdirectories of the python executable files.

1. First you have to check you loaded the "Pyro" module at all. From the
cmd line in MS_Windows
Python
Help ()
Modules

See if Pyro was loaded.

It seems you must load pyro to get it to run.
2. Install Pyro and make sure you are successful: you should see a spew of
modules loaded in the cmd box if it loads OK.

3. First I ran ephys_server "python ephys_server".
You should see a windows box for a opening a port 7766 or the like.

Then I ran ephys_gui (I think that ran in python windows as a .pyw file).

Then I was able to get to the construction screens you mentioned.
Not so simple for us newbies.

Ethan.