[virusinfo] W32/Domwis-H

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: virusinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 08:34:39 -0800

From; Sophos Alert System:

Name: W32/Domwis-H
Aliases: BKDR_DOMWIS.C, Backdoor.Win32.Wisdoor.av
Type: Win32 worm
Date: 9 March 2005

A virus identity (IDE) file which provides protection is
available now from the Sophos website, and will be incorporated
into the April 2005 (3.92) release of Sophos Anti-Virus.

Customers using EM Library, PureMessage or any of our Sophos
small business solutions will be automatically protected at
their next scheduled update.

At the time of writing, Sophos has received a small number of
reports of this worm from the wild.

Information about W32/Domwis-H can be found at:
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32domwish.html

W32/Domwis-H is a network worm which contains IRC backdoor Trojan functionality
which allows a malicious user remote access to the infected computer.
W32/Domwis-H copies itself to the Windows folder with the filename WINFRW.EXE
and creates the following entry in the registry so as to run itself on system
startup, resetting this value periodically:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Windows System Configuration
%WINDOWS%\WINFRW.EXE
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Windows Security Updater
%WINDOWS%\WINFRW.EXE
W32/Domwis-H spreads via network security exploits as a result of the backdoor
Trojan element receiving the appropriate command from a remote user.
W32/Domwis-H can be instructed by a remote user to perform a variety of other
tasks including to steal system information and log keystrokes, to download and
execute remote files, and to get information about running processes and to
terminate them.

This IDE file also includes detection for:

W32/Bater-A
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32batera.html
W32/Protorid-AC
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32protoridac.html
W32/Cissi-F
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32cissif.html
Troj/Dloader-LZ
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojdloaderlz.html
Troj/Bancos-BM
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojbancosbm.html
W32/Rbot-WY
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32rbotwy.html

Download the IDE file from:
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/domwish.ide

Download all the IDE files available for the current version of
Sophos Anti-Virus in a single compressed file. The file is
available in two formats:

Zip file:
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/ides.zip

Self-extracting file:
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/ides.exe

Read about how to use IDE files at
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/using.html

*********** MIKE"S REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/worm_removal.htm
See my Anti-Virus pages  http://virusinfo.hackfix.org/index
A Technical Support Alliance  and OWTA Charter Member