[virusinfo] Denial of Service in Windows systems - 03/08/05

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: virusinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 08:36:12 -0800

From; Panda Oxygen3:

"It is easier to deny things than to look into them."
          Mariano Jose de Larra (1809-1837); Spanish author.

               - Denial of Service in Windows systems -
     Oxygen3 24h-365d, by Panda Software (http://www.pandasoftware.com)

Madrid, March 8, 2005 - SecuriTeam has reported a vulnerability in Microsoft
Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) and Microsoft Windows Server 2003,
which could allow a malicious user to cause a Denial of Service (DoS).

The security flaw can be exploited by sending a TCP packet with SYN flag
set, source and destination IP address and source and destination port. The
incorrect handling of this packet causes a Denial of Service condition, as
it uses up all the resources of the CPU.

Security flaws like the one described above were first discovered in 1997,
and were known as LAND attacks.

The 5 viruses most frequently detected by Panda ActiveScan, Panda Software's
free online scanner: 1) Mhtredir.gen; 2) Netsky.P; 3) Downloader.GK; 4)
Mitglieder.BO; 5) Shinwow.E.

To contact with Panda Software, please visit:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/about/contact/

*********** MIKE"S REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/worm_removal.htm
See my Anti-Virus pages  http://virusinfo.hackfix.org/index
A Technical Support Alliance  and OWTA Charter Member