[vipaudioaccess] Re: sonar versus samplitude, and a null test

  • From: Jean-Philippe Rykiel <jprykiel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vipaudioaccess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 13:40:17 +0100

Michael,

not from an MP3 please. What do you want us to judge from an MP3? The sound is already mashed up!

Best,

JPR

http://www.jprykiel.com
http://soundcloud.com/ryksounet
http://twitter.com/ryksounet
http://facebook.com/jeanphilipperykiel

Le 09/02/2017 à 12:50, Michael Taboada a écrit :

Hi all,

Going off of what we were discussing, I just did a simple null test in sonar and samplitude. I downloaded an mp3 from youtube, then imported it into sonar and samplitude, exported it as a wav with no dithering to see what they'd do with it. I then re-imported both into sonar, phase-inverted one track and played it back. Unfortunately for my side of the story (or possibly my ability to due null tests), there was not a 0 signal. This either means 1. Samplitude or sonar is doing something to the audio besides copying it faithfully (which I still state is wrong -- the audio should be preserved 100% as it was recorded, and in this case it was simply imported from a single file), or 2. I didn't do the null test properly, and this was a whole waste of time lol. I guess it's also possible there's a bug, or maybe a diversion in the mp3 import of either or, but who knows. Hard to tell unfortunately. Anyway, here's a link to the files that I've made, one called null-test.wav is obviously the null test, and 1 and 2.wav are sonar or samplitude, though I'm not telling you which is which yet.

-Michael.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/47j590y9w0ezdrd/sonar-vs-samplitude.zip?dl=0

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/47j590y9w0ezdrd/sonar-vs-samplitude.zip?dl=0>

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/47j590y9w0ezdrd/sonar-vs-samplitude.zip?dl=0>