[vip_students] Re: error message / screensaver

  • From: "NCBI Technical Support" <paul.traynor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 09:18:49 +0100

Hi Edel,

If you suspect that screen savers have been installed then I would  go into
the following area;

Start menu, Then settings, Then control panel and "add or remove".

Note: Depending on how you have windows xp set up, you may find that when
you open up the start menu you will have the control panel in their so just
click on it and you're in.

Now while in the "add or remove" section, scroll down through all items in
the list. These will typically be a list of installed programs on your PC so
look for anything that may mention that it is a screen saver or look for any
unusual items that have strange names and remove them.

You are correct in that nowadays the flash player is required to run a
variety of multi media software such as fancy screen savers.

What you could do to stop the kids from downloading and installing software
onto your PC is set up a special user for them so that whenever they are on
the computer you could steer them into this special user profile and have it
set up that while they can use the internet, they cannot download and
install software. I know you do not wish to  block them from the PC but
ultimately it is us who suffer afterwards when there is no one to help us
sort out the mess, I know this from personal experience too Edel as I have a
nephew with an active imagination also.

If you need any more help, you know where I am and thank you for your kind
compliments.